Monday, December 20, 2010

This Christmas Will Be...

Christmas is rapidly approaching. I’ve never been so behind on Christmas shopping.


I have my decorating done, though. I start getting edgy after Thanksgiving if it’s not done. It’s such a comfort for me. I guess Christmas is the most ideal, the most utopian part of life, for me. When I was a kid, even though life was crazy, Christmas was the time my Mom would do everything to make it feel perfect. From Christmas snacks and goodies, to watching Christmas claymation movies with us, and creating an environment that was so much better than the rest of life. As I got older, it was different traditions that meant so much, from my home church’s drive through Christmas Lighting display, to the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, that it now feels weird not to have.


The holidays are such a time of reflection... a time of thankfulness.

God moved us to Brooklyn, NY, and I would have never guessed one year ago that we’d be here now. I would have never guessed that life would have taken so many unexpected turns. I’m thankful to be inside His will, because that’s more “home” than any physical place can be. I will always have a gravitational pull back to my hometown to visit those I love; but just recognizing that where God places us, He provides. I’m not talking about money provisions, but comfort, peace, and JOY. I’ve been challenged physically more in the last 4 months than probably ever in my life, and it would have been a great opportunity for me to have felt alone. I’d be lying if I’d said I didn’t miss family and friends; but while staying home, in bed, for around 3 months, God refreshed me.

At the risk of sounding like a new-age hippie, He reminded me why we do what we do. What it’s all about. He reminded me of what’s important to me, and how it came to be so important to me. That ministry is not a JOB but an opportunity to share the same love and belonging that saved my life. Nothing is more important than that.

Sitting by my Christmas tree, feeling grateful to have made it to this Christmas; and to have a wonderful husband to share it with (been married three years and some change now). I’m thankful that we’ve lasted. I know three years doesn’t seem like much, and many reading this may roll your eyes, but it’s a big deal to me. I was not very experienced at letting someone be this much in my life... and my husband has made this the best three years of my life. Good and bad, my life has never felt quite so full. He has endured much with me, and proved to be the love of my life, and my absolute soulmate and best friend. He is proof that God is specific and gives good gifts to those who wait on Him.

My life is not perfect. I’m not even close to perfect. My life is proof of a living God who has mended the broken, and done serious rebuilding from the ruins I was in before.

No comments:

Post a Comment